The sweet licorice taste of fennel, the bite of red onions, all complimented with a lemon dill sauce–a perfect summer salad to beat the heat. Summer is hot. Trying to stay cool can be a challenge in both the kitchen and outside. The less you have to turn on the oven, the less heat you’ll have in the house = the better life is and the happier you’ll be. I do not do well in heat of any kind. I don’t care if it’s dry heat or humid heat, I absolutely loathe it. When a heat wave comes about, I plop myself on the (hopefully cooler) ground, groan and whine, and become absolutely useless. This is a fact. You can ask any of my friends who will whole heartedly vouch for me.
Summer usually results in me grilling outdoors and making fresh salads to go with the main course. This summer salad has a light, refreshing taste, and goes great with chicken or fish. Hey it even goes well by itself. Best part is how simple this salad is. It’s really easy to make for a fast side or to throw together for a dinner party. If you have a crowd coming and want to prep a bit early, you can slice the ingredients up and keep them in a sealed bag, mix the dressing before hand and keep the two separate until right before the meal. This way you can keep the ingredients from turning mushy and losing their great crisp texture.
I love the refreshing taste of lemon (as you might have noticed) and use it on as much as possible. So if you’re tired of lemon, sorry. I’m slightly obsessed. Actually, right now I’m going through a lemon and dill kick. You’ll see in future recipes because I really just can’t get enough of that flavor. So again, if you’re not a fan, I’m dreadfully sorry–but it just taste sooo good!
Summer salad recipe after the jump!
- 1 Fennel Bulb, sliced thin
- 1 Small Red Onion, sliced thin
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Dill, minced fine
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a food processor or with a mandolin, slice the fennel bulb and red onion into thin strips.
- Place into a plastic bag with a seal (Ziploc, etc).
- Combine all ingredients and mix well with a whisk.
- Pour dressing over the ingredients in the plastic bag, seal, and shake vigorously.
- Chill for up to 30 minutes and serve.
Latest posts by ApronWarrior (see all)
- How to Choose the Best Game for Your Crowd - May 13, 2017
- How to Save Money Without Couponing - May 9, 2017
- How to Care for and Maintain Your Wooden Cutting Board - May 8, 2017