- 13 oz Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TBSP Fresh minced basil
- 12 TBSP chilled, unsalted butter, sliced into pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled lard, cut into 4 pieces (can use shortening)
- 1/4 cup Vodka
- 1/4 cup Chilled water
- 1-2 TBSP Ghee
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Julienne red onion
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, sliced.
- 1 TBSP Minced rosemary
- 1 TBSP Chiffonade basil
- 1 TBSP Minced thyme
- 1 large Heirloom Tomato, sliced
- 1 cup Asiago cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine salt, basil, and flour in a large bowl or food processor.
- Add the lard (or shortening) and butter and combine. Should appear crumby when combined.
- Slowly add the vodka and water, folding the mixture together.
- The dough should be sticky when done.
- Wrap and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough and dust a clean working space with flour. Place plastic wrap onto the top of dough and being rolling into a circle of about 1/8” thick.
- Butter and flour your tart pan.
- Place dough into the pan and cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Work on filling while dough is chilling.
- Sauté onions and garlic over medium heat and caramelize.
- Add spices and mushrooms, allow to sauté for a couple minutes more.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Remove prepared tart shell from the refrigerator.
- Arrange filling mix in the shell.
- Top with tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. The crust should be crisp and slightly golden.
- Allow to cool and serve.