- 1 LargeOnion
- 4 Cans of 6.5 ozChopped clams, keep the juice
- 1 BottleClam juice
- 2.5 CupsHalf and Half
- 6 Red Potatoes, diced
- 1 CupHeavy Cream
- 1 lbBacon, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 StickButter
- 4 TBSPFlour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the bacon.
- Once bacon has browned nicely, add onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Add potatoes.
- Strain the clams, keeping the juice. Add the juice and the additional bottle of clam juice to the pot.
- Stew until potatoes are soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Once soft, add the clams and the half and half.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- While the chowder is simmering, in a separate saucepan melt the butter.
- Once melted, add flour slowly and stir constantly.
- Add heavy cream, again stirring constantly. You should end up with a thick roux.
- Add mixture to pot of chowder and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.