- 1Whole Chicken
- Enough to barely cover chicken in potWater
- 1/2 tspGround Cumin
- 1 tspOregano
- 1/4 tspCinnamon
- 1 TBSPOlive Oil
- 1/2 CupCilantro, finely chopped
- 4 oz CanDiced Green Chili
- 60 oz CanPinto Beans, rinsed
- 2-4Limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tspSalt
- 1lbShredded Jack Cheese
- Place washed, uncooked chicken in a large pot, breast up. Fill the pot with enough water to barely cover the top of the chicken breast. Add 1 1/2 tsp of salt to water.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, remove from pot and allow to cool. (Remove pot with broth from heat as well). I usually remove the skin before allowing to completely cool and slice down along the sternum to allow the inner meat to cool faster. Be careful! Very hot.
- Once chicken is cooled, pull apart into small bite sized shreds. Add back into pot.
- Skim the broth in the pot to remove any unwanted floaties.
- Add all spices, olive oil, pinto beans, cilantro, chilies, and lime juice. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and allow to melt into soup.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
*If you want to use chicken broth and chicken instead of boiling the whole chicken, use these measurements: